Vacancy AnnouncementDepartment: Cooperative Research Extension and Education Services (CREES)Job Status: Full-TimeFLSA Classification: ExemptPay Level & Step: F-12: 22/02-06Annual Salary: $44,709.77 - $51,305.90Location: As Terlaje Campus, SaipanOpening Date: December 05, 2022Closing Date: December 29, 2022 or Until Filled
About this Position
The Researcher/Evaluator is a staff member of the Northern Marianas College Cooperative Research Extension and Education Services (CREES) located on Saipan and is employed to provide a wide-range of research activities including extraction, fractionation, identification and analysis the bioactive compounds from the extract of the natural medicinal plants of Northern Marianas Island using green technology. The position is under the direct supervision of the program leader for the Food Science Program.
- Master’s Degree from a U.S. Department of Education recognized and accredited institution in food science, food technology, chemistry, food and nutrition, bio-chemistry, medicinal-chemistry, microbiology, or other related field, and Two (2) years of experience in handling and operating analytical equipment specifically in LC-MS, GC-MS, UV-VIS, FTIR, and other relevant equipment.
- Must have research articles published in a referenced journal.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Contributes and promotes a positive and professional working environment and relationship with the college community and promotes a positive representation of the CREES and NMC
- Ability to build professional relationships with cross functional teams while facilitating a collaborative environment both internally and externally.
- Familiar with green technology especially supercritical fluid extraction technology.
- Knowledge on extraction and analysis of bioactive compounds from medicinal plants, natural products, phytochemicals, chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, and in-vitro and in-vivo animal model.
- Must have knowledge in chemistry/ analytical chemistry/ biochemistry, and data analysis.
- Must have strong computer background including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, and database, preferably Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software applications.
- Takes initiative and works both independently and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Must be able to work with limited supervision.
- Cultivate strong organizational skills and a high attention to detail.
- Capable of handling multiple tasks while maintaining composure under stressful conditions.
- Must be able to present information in a clear and professional manner.
- Must be able to travel occasionally within CNMI and other destinations as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in program review and outcomes assessment (PROA) activities.
- Extracts, separates and identifies bioactive compounds from natural medicinal plants using both conventional and non-conventional extraction methods.
- Analyzes of bioactive compounds with HPLC or LC-MS and/ or GCMS and possess troubleshooting skills of these equipment.
- Solve complex problems, review information to develop and evaluate options then implement solutions.
- Assists in the planning and preparation of the CREES Plan of Work (POW) as well as the annual accomplishment report.
- Develops research-based educational materials such as brochures, bulletin boards, and newsletters.
- Organizes and conducts workshops and presentations in the relevant research areas.
- Provide community and culturally-focused experiential learning opportunities that encourage personal development and capacity building.
- Partners with the Expanded Food & Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) staff to educate and inform students on the health benefits of locally grown and raised food.
- Confers with immediate supervisor regarding program needs, volunteer progress, and related matters.
- Collaborates with internal and external partners in order to address the appropriate goals and objectives described in the CREES (POW).
- Completes monthly reports and does other paper work as needed.
- Assists Program Leader to serve to the community and stakeholders.
- Follow all guidelines and policies of Northern Marianas College (NMC), Cooperative Research,
- Extension and Education Services (CREES) and camps or facilities where assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Essential Functions of the Position
Must be able to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery. The individual in this position will frequently communicate with students and their colleague(s) in order to exchange information in various situations. Occasionally lifts office products and supplies, weighing up to 50 Ibs.
The Work Environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment may vary. The employee may be tasked to work outdoors in the sun and heat, on or around wet surfaces, and other areas exposed to the elements.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted by 5:00 pm on the closing date. Deadlines that fall on a non-business day will be extended to the next business day.
All post-secondary education degrees must be from a U.S. Department of Education recognized and accredited institution. It is our requirement that degrees be from a U.S.-accredited college or university. Foreign degrees may be accepted when accompanied with a credential evaluation report. A listing of authorized evaluation reports can be obtained at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) website at http://www.naces.org/
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification (I-9) document form upon hire. Police/court clearance will be required upon job offer.