Register for NMC's Summer 2022 Semester!
Hafa Adai and Tirow Woomi!
Please be aware of the following changes to the advising and registration process:
- Ongoing students who have earned 13 or more credits do not need Advisor Authorization, and may register for classes on the proa portal.
- New students who have earned 12 or less credits must meet with their advisor and obtain advisor approval prior to registering for classes. Simply add the courses you wish to register for into your Proa Portal cart and forward (email) a screenshot of your cart to your academic advisor requesting his or her approval.
Upon receipt of your email with advisor approval, Enrollment Services staff will register you accordingly. Additional details and changes will be forthcoming via the NMC website and other platforms.
In support of Northern Marianas College’s commitment to the health and safety of its campus community, the College has announced that beginning in the Fall 2021 semester, the COVID-19 vaccination would be part of the health clearance requirements for students who are enrolled in face-to-face or in-person classes.
The vaccination requirement allows NMC to offer a fuller range of in-person campus experiences, including co-curricular activities and events. Additionally, vaccination remains the most effective way to protect those who are not able to receive vaccination (children under age 12 and those who are medically exempted) and to bring the COVID-19 pandemic to an end. Further, the vaccine requirement furthers the CNMI’s goal of reaching herd immunity against the COVID-19 virus.
Summer 2022 Class Schedule
Summer 2022 Academic Calendar
|June 20 - 25, 2022
|Welcome Week / First week of instruction: last week to add courses, or drop courses with a refund (No refund after this week)
|July 1, 2022
|Unofficial Withdrawal (UW) Reporting Deadline / Petition to Graduate (for Summer and Fall)
|July 4, 2022
|Independence Day (Observed Holiday - No Classes)
|July 8, 2022
|Last Day to Withdraw
|July 11 - 16, 2022
|Course and Instructor Evaluations
|July 30, 2022
|Last Day of Instruction
|August 1 - 6, 2022
|Final Exam Week
|August 11, 2022
|Grades due for All Students
Summer 2022 Registration Steps
- Clear all HOLDS on your student account.
- Holds can be viewed by logging into your Proa Portal account. Holds may be placed on your account if you have any pending books, charges, required documents from the following departments: Library, Bookstore, Finance Office, Academic Sanction (Counseling Office), Office of Admissions & Records
- After clearing holds, proceed to Step 2.
- Obtain your Math and English placement level
- See placement test information below.
- Make an appointment with your advisor.
- An advisor was assigned to you upon admission to the College (if you have not been assigned an advisor, please contact the Office of Admissions and Records – see contact information above). Your advisor will review your status and degree program requirements and offer suggestions for course enrollment. Your advisor will also release your registration hold or authorize you to register using Proa Portal. Have copies of your English and Math Placement score reports if a level is not indicated on your portal.
- If you do not have a Proa Portal account set up, please contact the IT Learning Technologies Section anytime between 8am and 12pm and 1:30pm and 5pm, to get an account created for you.
- Prior to registering for classes, be sure to attend orientation for new and readmitted students.
Step 2: Select courses to add to your schedule using Proa Portal
- To register for classes, access your Proa Portal account at this link: www.marianas.edu/ProaPortal
- Go to the “Find Courses” link, Summer 2022 Registration Period, and proceed with customizing your search for available courses for the upcoming semester. Add courses to your cart. You may change your course schedule (add or remove courses) up until June 25, 2022 using Proa Portal. Any changes after this date must be made using paper-based forms with appropriate signatures. See the Summer ACADEMIC CALENDAR above for registration dates.
Step 3: Review and finalize your course schedule
- Upon reviewing the courses added to your cart, go to “Proceed to Registration” link to finalize your schedule. To view and print your schedule, click on the “Classes” tab on the Proa Portal home page and select schedule.
Step 4: Make payment
- For more information regarding payments, please visit: http://www.marianas.edu/tuition-fees
Ongoing students who have earned 13 or more credits may access the online Proa Portal to register for courses online at any time during the registration period. New and Readmitted students with less than 13 credits must meet with an advisor prior to gaining access to the online course registration system (Proa Portal).
Additional Information for New and Re-Admitted Students
Course Overload Instructions
Students can register for up to 18 credits with the academic advisor’s approval. Students can register for 19-22 credits with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and submission of a completed Request for Course Overload form which must be approved by both the student’s academic advisor and by the department chair for the student’s program.
Add, Drop, and Withdrawal Procedures
Follow these steps if you’d like to add or drop any class from your schedule during and after the first week of classes.
- Students may add/drop courses on the proa portal up to June 25, 2022.
- To withdraw from courses contact your advisor or counselor, after communicating with either your advisor or counselor submit a withdrawal from to the Office of Admissions and Records (OAR). Electronic Forms are available at the OAR web page. Changes should be reflected on your proa portal.
Waitlist Steps and Tips:
The registration feature in the Proa Portal allows you to get on a waitlist for classes that are full provided you take the following steps:
- A course that is full will have a “Wait” button instead of “Add”. Click on “Wait” to include this course in “My Cart” as a Waitlist Item. Your waitlist item(s) will remain with the status, “On Waitlist”, as long as the class remains full.
- When a seat becomes available and you are next on the list for this seat, you will automatically be notified by e-mail that your status for the course in “My Cart” has changed to “Waitlist Pending”. In “My Cart”, check the box beside the course name and click on the “Next” button at the bottom of the page. The course will now appear in “My Cart” with the status “Registered”. NOTE: You will have 24 hours to add the course.
If you decide you are no longer interested in taking the course, REMOVE yourself from the waitlist so that the next student will move up on the list.
Have a back-up plan in case a seat does not open up. There is no guarantee that a seat will become available.
If you chose to waitlist for a class, check your e-mail and “My Cart” daily. If you are notified that a seat is available, take action quickly. You will not automatically be registered once a seat becomes available. You will have 24 hours to register for the course (refer to Step 2 above) or the course will automatically be removed from “My Cart”. You are responsible for registering yourself for the course. Your advisor will not get an email and you will not automatically be registered.
The waitlist option will close, as will registration via the Proa Portal, one day prior to the first day of classes for the term.
NMC Placement Tests
Incoming freshmen and transfer students may need to take an ACCUPLACER placement test for mathematics and/or English, to ensure they begin with courses that match their academic needs. Placement tests and developmental courses may be required whether you are studying on campus or online. Other placement methods include the transcript placement alternative method (transcript evaluation) and CLEP.
English course descriptions and guides may be viewed on page 82 of the NMC Academic Catalog 2019-2023. Mathematics course descriptions and guides may be viewed on page 87 of the NMC Academic Catalog. To view the English and mathematics flow charts, please click here.
Schedule Your Placement Test
- Schedule your English/math placement test via Google Forms here.
- Complete the Placement Test Inquiry Form via Google Forms here.
- You will receive a confirmation email via Google calendar containing the following information: what to expect on test day, test preparation, rules and regulations, payment information, etc.
- Test Day! Report to the NMC Testing Center to take your placement test.
Temporary Placement Alternative
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the following Temporary Placement Alternatives have been recommended by the Director of Enrollment Services and authorized by the Dean of Learning and Student Success:
For Students who have not taken the NMC Math Placement Test
Academic Advising Contact Information
Please click on the links below to obtain department contact information:
School of Education (SOE)
School of Business
Language & Humanities Department
Sciences, Mathematics, Health & Athletics Department
Social Science & Fine Arts Department
Natural Resource Management
Student and Finance Services Contact Information
Enrollment Services (Admissions, Registration and Testing)
Financial Aid Office (Grants and Scholarships)
Finance Office (Payments & Billing)
Learning Support Services (Counseling, Disability and International Support)
Questions? Concerns? Contact us…