What is Starfish Early Alert?
Northern Marianas College’s Starfish Early Alert Program is designed to promote student success through communication between students, instructors, and counselors. This system allows students to receive feedback from their instructor(s) regarding their academic progress and to refer them to support services available to help them be successful in their coursework.
How Does Starfish Early Alert Work?
Starfish Early Alert allows an instructor to notify you when you are doing really well in a course or there is a concern about your academic progress or engagement based on course content and expectations.
You will be sent an email from your instructor through Starfish Early Alert to your NMC student email account regarding the flag, referral, and/or kudos submitted and comments made by your instructor.
What is a Flag?
A flag is meant to alert a student on their course progress so action can be taken. It is a proactive and purposeful request for support. A flag is NOT a punishment or an indication of failure. It is NOT included on the student’s transcript or academic standing.
What is a Referral?
A referral allows instructors to connect students to additional support services that may be beneficial to the student.
What is a Kudo?
A kudo allows instructors to provide students with positive feedback. It offers the opportunity to celebrate a student’s great work, and acknowledge their improvement.
What do I need to do?
If you receive an email notification about a concern, please contact your instructor as soon as possible to get recommendations on how to improve in the course. You may also meet with an NMC Counselor.
STARFISH EARLY ALERT PROCESS
- A flag, kudo, and/or referral is made by an instructor
- A Starfish notification is received by the student and the Counseling Department
- A counselor contacts the student if there is a concern and a flag/referral has been submitted
- The counselor provides students with resources and support
IMPORTANT - Students will receive an email notification from Starfish, so it is critical that students check their NMC student email regularly so they don’t miss information.
How to Access Starfish for Faculty and Staff
To login, open a browser (i.e. Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox). On the browser, enter www.marianas.edu/starfish.
Once you press the enter key, it would automatically redirect the page to the starfish login page. The page will ask for your Email Address and the corresponding password, here we use our NMC Email (@marianas.edu for Employee and @my.marianas.edu for Students).
If you are having problems logging-in, kindly try clearing your browser cache and/or logging out from your NMC Email then try to access the URL www.marianas.edu/starfish
- Student Demo Series: Profile
- Student Demo Series: Success Network
- Student Demo Series: Upcoming
- Student Demo Series: Dashboard & Messages
- Student Demo Series: Courses
- Student Demo Series: Request Help & History
For Faculty / Staff
- Faculty and Staff Demo Series: Email Notifications for Appointments & Tracking
- Faculty and Staff Demo Series: Updating your Profile
- Faculty and Staff Demo Series: Preparing for a Productive Student Meeting
- Faculty and Staff Demo Series: Faculty Features in Starfish
- How to Set Up Office Hours
- Update Appointment Notifications Preferences
- Respond to a Progress Survey
- Closing The Loop
- Taking Attendance
- 5 Things you can do in Starfish Early Alert Only (Presented in under 5 minutes)
For more information, download the NMC Resource Guide for Instructional Faculty and Staff
Questions about Starfish?
Student Success Lead | Student Success Counselor
Faculty Liaison | Distance Learning Coordinator
For Technical Issues:
Technical Lead | IT Specialist
Technical Lead | IT Specialist