Promotion, Retention, Opportunities, Advancement
Helping Students Navigate their Path to a College Degree
Project PROA offers FREE tutoring and mentoring, activities, workshops, and resources to high school and college students.
The PROA Center is temporarily located at the NMC Archives/Pacific Collection in Building O. Project PROA is open Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm (on-campus/virtually) 5:00pm - 8:00pm (virtually by appointment only) and on Saturdays, 8:00am - 6:00pm (virtually by appointment only).
What is Project PROA?
The mission of Project Promotion Retention Opportunities Advancement (PROA) is to improve and expand the capacity of indigenous Chamorro and Carolinian students* in Saipan, Tinian, and Rota by increasing the proportion of those who enroll and graduate on time at NMC.
Project PROA’s goals are to increase science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) career interest among students and provide financial literacy education to students and their families through tutoring and mentoring and activities and workshops.
*As a federally-funded program under the U.S. Department of Education's Asian American Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI) grant, Project PROA serves all enrolled high school and college students.
What services does Project PROA provide?
Project PROA provides the following services to high school and college students:
- Academic, STEM & Financial Literacy, and mentorship activities
- Academic advising support and financial literacy counseling
- College Mentoring
- In-person/virtual mentoring
- In-class mentoring in all BE111 sections
- Embedded Tutoring
- In-person/virtual tutoring in all math or science courses via 1:1 or group sessions
- In-class/virtual tutoring in all math courses up to MA132, BI101, and EG101
- Computer/Printer Access, Resources*, & Study Space
- Printing/copying services, course textbooks, calculators, laptops, tablets, headphones, musical instruments, and study space are available at the PROA Center *All resources can only be used at the PROA Center.
How do I apply for Project PROA?
Proa Pathway Partnership
The Proa Pathway Partnership
The Proa Pathway Partnership Application is now available!
Opens: December 5, 2022
Closes: January 21, 2023
Letters of Recommendation Due: January 30, 2023
Notice of Selection: February 21, 2023
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have completed at least one year of undergraduate coursework by Spring 2023
- Be enrolled full-time at the time of application (or have completed an AA/AS)
- Must be interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree in the field of STEM or related field
- Upon completing an associate's degree from NMC, students must intend to transfer to PSU in Fall 2023 and/or Fall 2024.
How to apply?
Step 1: Must complete a Proa Pathway Partnership application.
Step 2: Commit to attending the one (1) week Summer Research Academy at Portland State University in June 2023
Step 3: Register for the research gateway course at NMC.
For more information about the program, please contact projectproa@marianas.
2023 Project Press April Issue
Workshops / Sessions
Check out our NMC Youtube Channel to view Project PROA's STEM and Financial Literacy videos:
3rd Annual Research Symposium
Project PROA and the Science Mathematics Health and Athletics (SMHA) department hosted NMC's 3rd Annual Research Symposium on Friday, April 14th from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM at the Crowne Plaza Resort Saipan Hibiscus Hall.
The symposium featured a collection of research projects from students and faculty across the different degree programs who will showcase their work.
Camp PROA - Summer Bridge Program
Camp PROA is a summer bridge program aimed to help high school students be college and career ready through various engaging activities and opportunities in STEM fields and much more!
Contact our Staff
Kaelani Marie Demapan
Project PROA Director
Malyssa Q. Castro
Counselor (Student Support)
Kyanna M. Tenorio
Program Manager (Student Resources)
Counselor (Career Support)
Counselor (Tutoring and Mentoring Support)
Project PROA Tinian Site Coordinator
Interim Project PROA Rota Site Coordinator