Promotion, Retention, Opportunities, Advancement
Helping Students Navigate their Path to a College Degree
Project PROA offers FREE tutoring and mentoring, activities, workshops, and resources to high school and college students.
The PROA Center is temporarily located at the NMC Archives/Pacific Collection in Building O. Project PROA is open Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm (on-campus/virtually) 5:00pm - 8:00pm (virtually by appointment only) and on Saturdays, 8:00am - 6:00pm (virtually by appointment only).
What is Project PROA?
The mission of Project Promotion Retention Opportunities Advancement (PROA) is to improve and expand the capacity of indigenous Chamorro and Carolinian students* in Saipan, Tinian, and Rota by increasing the proportion of those who enroll and graduate on time at NMC.
Project PROA’s goals are to increase science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) career interest among students and provide financial literacy education to students and their families through tutoring and mentoring and activities and workshops.
*As a federally-funded program under the U.S. Department of Education's Asian American Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI) grant, Project PROA serves all enrolled high school and college students.
What services does Project PROA provide?
Project PROA provides the following services to high school and college students:
- Academic, STEM & Financial Literacy, and mentorship activities
- Academic advising support and financial literacy counseling
- College Mentoring
- In-person/virtual mentoring
- In-class mentoring in all BE111 sections
- Embedded Tutoring
- In-person/virtual tutoring in all math or science courses via 1:1 or group sessions
- In-class/virtual tutoring in all math courses up to MA132, BI101, and EG101
- Computer/Printer Access, Resources*, & Study Space
- Printing/copying services, course textbooks, calculators, laptops, tablets, headphones, musical instruments, and study space are available at the PROA Center *All resources can only be used at the PROA Center.
How do I apply for Project PROA?
2022 Project Press September Issue
Check out our NMC Youtube Channel to view Project PROA's STEM and Financial Literacy videos:
Project PROA and the Science Mathematics Health and Athletics (SMHA) department hosted NMC's 2nd Annual Research Symposium on Friday, April 29th from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM at the World Resort Taga Hall.
The symposium featured a collection of research projects from students and faculty across the different degree programs who will showcase their work.
Camp PROA is a summer bridge program aimed to help high school students be college and career ready through various engaging activities and opportunities in STEM fields and much more!