An Apprenticeship is a unique long-term training program that allows job seekers to learn specialized skills for various trades. In the CNMI, we are developing programs available that represent a wide variety of occupations. After completing training, an apprentice becomes a journeyworker. Journeyworkers can earn a substantially higher salary as well as pursue career goals of becoming an apprentice supervisor, contractor, or even set up your own business.
Benefits of Apprenticeship in the CNMI
Benefits for the Employer
- Minimize liability costs through appropriate training of workers
- Increase retention of workers, during and following the apprenticeship
- Improve productivity, profitability, and an employer’s bottom line
- Create flexible training options that ensure workers develop the right skills
- Generate highly skilled employees that compliment a more diverse workforce
- Help your business address any critical or unexpected shortages of skilled labor
- Start now with the transition from CW based workforce to US/local workforce as mandated by US Public Law 110-229
Benefits for the Employee
- Learn from highly-trained and skilled journeymen
- Reduce risk of injury while on the job through proper training
- Throughout the duration of the program, you will receive periodic pay increases
- Increased skills and knowledge pertaining to your profession
- Receive “Certification of Completion” after satisfactory completion of the program
- Receive nationally recognized credentials
- Upon completion of the apprenticeship program, career advancement and substantially higher wages are imminent
How do I join an Apprenticeship?
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Highschool graduate or GED
- Be physically fit for occupation
Want to Learn More?
Fill up the form below, and we'll be in touch!
Apprenticeship.gov is the one-stop source to connect career seekers, employers, and education partners with apprenticeship resources. Discover apprenticeships across industries, how programs are started by employers, and how to become an apprentice.
CNMI Department of Labor
Northern Marianas College State Apprenticeship Expansion Program
Northern Marianas Technical Institute (NMTech)
Marketing & Outreach Coordinator, NMTech
The CNMI State Apprenticeship Expansion (SAE) Program under the Community Development Institute of the Northern Marianas College, closely aligns itself with the Northern Marianas Technical Institute, the CNMI Department of Labor, the CNMI Public School System, and the business community. The sole purpose of SAE is to create the infrastructure flow for apprenticeship in the CNMI.
CNMI Apprenticeship Proclamation Signing